Wednesday, March 9, 2016

What I Got for Valentine's Day

Okay, so with a title like that I know you're expecting to see photos of all the candy, stuffed animals, etc. that I received from my precious, albeit stoic hubby. Sorry to disappoint. Disappointment, the perfect segue into how many people feel around Valentine's day. Many women expect the world from their lovers on this day, despite the fact that on every other day of the year they don't expect or receive much in terms of love or respect.

Well, this being the first year of my married life, I didn't think I was expecting too much. But when the day came, I planned an intimate dinner at home with my love. I had candlelight, wine glasses which I filled with Crystal Light as neither of us drink and two corny Valentine's day cards.

I knew I wasn't going to get anything over the top for Valentine's day as I know that my husband feels that the day is a big gimmick to divest unwise souls from their money. Despite this, I couldn't help but feel a twinge of disappointment as, over the years, the remnants of this crazy culture of ours has taken its toll on my mind. So, when the night ended and I realized that I wasn't going to get anything at all, I was a little disappointed, but not too much.

Because, I stopped and asked myself, what did I really get for this very first Valentine's Day of my married life? Lets see, first I got an actual person who promised before God and man to love, honor and cherish me. Then, I got a man who never raises his voice at me, who calls me gorgeous, who provides me with shelter and ultimately, loves me. So, I could wine and complain over what I didn't get for Valentine's day: candy that would ultimately kill me (diabetes), jewelry that would mean nothing without true love and commitment, or stuffed animals (what every mature woman wants, NOT!). So, this Valentine's day, I got what I've always wanted, a good man who loves God and who loves me. There's no better Valentine's Day gift than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment